Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Fourth of July

If I didn't commit all the seven deadly sins this weekend, I certainly wore gluttony completely out. I've haven't had so many parties since college, and my body was much more equipped to deal with it back then. It all started off on Tuesday when Edgy and I went out with Glinda for margaritas. Glinda left and missed the Twisted Sister cover band at Blanca's and a few games of pool and shuffleboard. We laid off a little on the libations until Friday when Glinda and Edgy and I went to the Davenport, which will always end in trouble. This time I had a fan club who kept calling me Daisy Duke (I was wearing a little baby doll dress, so I'm not sure what the reference was all about) and touching my arm like Lennie in Of Mice and Men and saying, "It's so soft. it doesn't look that soft. It's like an ill-oo-zee-un." The three of us closed the bar and ended up at Walgreens where I bought pants and cotton candy. You can imagine how the night went from there.

Saturday was spent doing my paper, but sat night, Two Shirt invited us out to a party in 3rd Ward. I think that they sacrificed 70 chickens and a ranch full of cattle to the BBQ god because that poor man was cooking from 8 til 1am. There was also a buffet of gumbo, red beans and rice, 3 types of potatoes (Damn the potatoes were good!) and a cucumber salad that was too die for. This was topped with a bottle of Grey Goose apiece. Need I say more? Sunday was spent in the suburbs. See below.

The Fourth was fun. I didn't get any chiggers, despite the fact that I was on the grass, and nearly everyone else was on the tiny square patio. Glinda, ColdStone (sounds like a wrestler, which might be the case--dunno), Edgy and I braved the lush St. Augustine and came out ok, which is good since I read that chigger bites are actually caused by the larva, that insert some bodily protrusion, flush your skin with enzymes that slowly digest the skin cells causing some of them to turn to mush and others to form a hard, strawlike feeding tube, and then suck the damn skin cells up. Fireworks were surprisingly good. Biggest damn show I've seen. Edgy had his first veggie dog. Freaked him out so much that he broke his chair getting up to grab another Shiner. Poor thing.

Last night ended the toxin binge with a blueberry margarita from Senor Ritas. V good since they made it with real blueberries and not blue colored syrup. Not that I'm complaining about blue colored things, mind you. MMM...blue cotton candy. Glinda's holding my cotton candy for ransom, btw. I won't get it back until I present her with homemade peach cobbler and ice cream.

Still sore from the party in the suburbs. Let's clarify that...my body is sore from running across the yard and flinging myself at a slip and slide for hours. It's TwoShirt's fault. He started it and didn't look like he hurt himself at all. It's like the time that my friend, Pheebes, got drunk for the first time on a bottle of Gomez tequilla (To her credit, she only turned up the bottle because she thought it had the same alcohol content as a wine cooler ;O) ) She ran out of the apartment, across campus, stopped and fell over like a tree in the woods. We ran over and found that she was supported at the face only by a little shrub. we couldn't imagine how a shrub would not only break her fall but completely support her weight and furthermore, how her neck didn't break in the process. So, the geniuses that we were, my friend, Trinidad and I fell face first into neighboring shrubs, too, just to test it. Needless to say, she was still supported, but Trin and I went straight to the bottom, scratches covering our faces. I still don't get the physics of it to this day.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home