Monday, January 08, 2007

The one that got away

This morning I awoke to much kitty excitement. The french doors in my bedroom lead out to a balcony of sorts, and my kitties love to watch the birds fly by. Mia, the avid huntress, generally chatters madly at the birds, but today, Cosette was the one chattering. Now Cosette, she's a black belt in Lei Tse Kitty Do, the kitty martial art that uses the Sloth attack stance of lying on your back and waiting for something to come to you so that you can bat it with the pad of your paw.

She was madly chattering, as I've never seen her do before, and then Mia joined her. Cosette backed away (part of the Sloth stance), and Mia took over, chattering and twitching until she stopped, froze dead in her tracks. I'm thinking, "Hmmm, where did the birds go?" And then, right in front of Mia's face, a little head pops up on the other side of the French door. It's a squirrel, with a huge nut in her little paws, and she smiles (distinctly smiles) at Mia as if to say, "Ha! You can't touch me" and raps the nut on the door right at Mia's head level. Mia stands there shellshocked. Then the squirrel actually turns around and shakes her tail at Mia, looking over her shoulder and chattering and then walks away.

Mia just turned to me and moaned, and I said, "It's ok, girl. You'll get her one day!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home