Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Year's Reso

End of the Year Reflection

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? started a Phd program
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't remember my resolutions
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, my friend Karen
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, my uncle
5. What countries did you visit? none this year [sigh]
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? less freakin drama
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory? April something or the other when I did my 39.3; Dec 20-21. I don't want to talk about that weekend.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? a 4.0 in my program
9. What was your biggest failure? I dunno.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? no
11. What was the best thing you bought? Firefly DVD
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? the American public
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? cp
14. Where did most of your money go? school related expenses
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? my Firefly DVD
16. What song/album will always remind you of 2008? Gravity
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder? somewhat happier
thinner or fatter? thinner
richer or poorer? poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? relax
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? continuing to keep toxic people in my life.
20. How did you spend Christmas? with family
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with? I have no idea, really
22. Did you fall in love in 2008? again and again
23. How many one night stands in this last year? a lady doesn't tell
24. What was your favorite TV program? Grey's Anatomy and House
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? hate is a strong word but yes
26. What was the best book(s) you read? Sadly, my pleasure reading came to a halt around August, but I reread Persuasion and enjoyed it better than I did in graduate school. Books I was disappointed in were Paint it Black and Love in the Time of Cholera. The latter was well written, but I just couldn't connect with the characters well. I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife currently.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? I don't know about greatest, but I find Death Cab for Cutie to be humorous; Red and Sleepercar were also surprising little finds.
28. What did you want and get? a 4.0
29. What did you want and not get? truth
30. What were your favorite films of this year? I haven't been to a lot of movies, sadly, so this list is sparse: The Dark Knight, Get Smart, X Files 2, Sweeney Todd
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 34. This was the worst Kimday ever, actually. I did nothing. Well, someone took me out to dinner, but it was lacking compared to previous Kimfests.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? a better Kimday or really, a larger circle of Lubbock friends which would have satisfied the Kimday lack
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? hoodies and jeans, the doctoral student's only fashion concept
34. What kept you sane? running
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? We'll go with Zach Braff bc once that whole positive thinking bullshit works, I'm gonna hook up with him
36. What political issue stirred you the most? the election
37. Who did you miss? friends in general
38. Who was the best new person you met? D
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. I don't know if I learned it yet, but I did realize that you can try your hardest to do everything right and still fail, so just do what's real for you.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
"I never loved nobody fully
Always one foot on the ground
And by protecting my heart truly
I got lost in the sounds" [Fidelity--Regina Spektor]

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean and Steph said...

What do you think of the Time Traveler's Wife? I really enjoyed it, and I'm not typically one for romances...

I just may steal your survey, though is it theft if I inform you first? :)

11:04 PM  
Blogger Cranky said...

You know, I'm only a couple of chapters in, but I like it so far.

Steal away. I think I stole it a couple of years ago, and I'm not sure if I even cited. Oops. And I plan to steal your birthday list, so we're even. :)

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home