Thursday, February 14, 2008

Where is the love?

The only place I've found it today was in the dumpster.

Radford and Regina were having a love feast a la Lady and the Tramp this evening in the apartment dumpster. That was the crowning Aw Moment of my day.

Hellish Highlights:

* I began the day with 2 hours of sleep and a sour stomach from rich Caucasians (of the beverage kind).

* Work. Patriarchal Xians with control issues. Enough said.

* Other work: at the Trekkie school I teach at, I was sent an email reprimanding me for not locking a door. The IT person apparently has been irritated for weeks about how several profs haven't locked the classroom doors when they finished lecturing (because WHO does that?). So she sends an email directly to the college president complaining about it. She claims to have conducted a test, inciting her student assistants to "steal" a computer out of my room and march it out the door at 9pm after I had gone, and then is amazed that no one even noticed him stealing it. Let me set this up for you. This computer is the one BOLTED DOWN to a desk in the room, the one that the instructor uses for powerpoint, etc. To steal it, someone would need to take tools into the room to unbolt it. So she apparently gave tools to her aides and told them to take it, which she promptly and proudly put in her office. She then sends said email to the fucking president, who immediately shoots back, "Who is this instructor? What is their name?" She tells him my name and says that she will notify my department head. Come the fuck on! The email chain continues up the ladder to the dean and department head, who sends me an email saying, "Lock the door." The story spread throughout the college, prompting constant Office Space-esque comments about how I am having problems with my door locking. It also prompted a slew of emails about how security needs to be tightened since someone can walk out of an office with a computer and no one says a word (see #5 in the paragraph below).

Ok #1--seriously, if you are the head of IT at a technical school and you have nothing better to do on a thursday night than to fake a computer stealing scam, you are not doing your job; #2--if you are the president of a college and you have nothing better to do than investigate the name of an employee who didn't lock a door, you are not doing your job; #3--who the fuck sends an email to the president of a college about an unlocked door? Chain of command here, people!; #4--again, how many of you college educators out there lock the door after you leave it?; #5--the IT department aide is coming out of the door with a computer--who in the hell would suspect foul play?

* Glinda. Glinda has proven once and for all that she is the greater evil. And she will pay.

There is no love for Cranky today. Even Jeffery N remains aloof.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since this is clearly an Office Space moment, there's only one thing you can do.

Send her forty subscriptions to Vibe.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Doc K said...

Yeah. I never lock my door after I teach. You should see if it is in "the manual" and an official expectation of instructors. When it is not, bc I am sure it isn't, you should totally file a formal grievance for harassment, defamation of character, etc., and hire Johnny Cockran to represent you. Take DOWN that tech school. Oh wait, I think JC died. Well, you should totally call Steve Lee!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home